Skip to main content

Dead Penalty for the Entertainment





It was a windy dark night. Things could hardly be seen as I was riding my bike to one of my friend’s house.  There was no reason going to his place in that late evening other than to borrow the Titanic movie which was just released that year.  There was neither shop nor any other places where someone could buy or rent movies in the country.  The country, by then, was ruled by the ferocious regime of Taliban. While riding bike in the evening, there was no less chances of not to be stopped by the Taliban, and therefore I made sure to be ready to trick them in case if I was stopped for search. I had a metal box of oil tied to the backside of my bike.  It was looking as new and heavy as if it was full of oil.  Once getting those movies, I would place them into that box before heading back for my destination.  I was in my late teenage years, so I would take any risk to watch that movie as I had heard so much about it. 
I, also, had to travel to Pakistan so frequently to connect with my father who escaped the Taliban and was working in Russia to support our family. Pakistan, for me and to so many other Afghans, was a totally different world. Once crossing the border, the sound of music, mostly Pashto and Indian, could be echoed all over. Similarly, while being on the other side of the border, there was no fear of wearing my hat [wearing hat to cover the hair was compulsory for all men under the Taliban and so does growing beard] or being afraid of having a shorter beard.  But the only thing that was really scary was the Paki police.  They could rob you in the middle of the day for no reason.  The law enforcement personals were and still are so corrupt that they would let criminals, even murders, to walk away so easily as long as they were paid. During all my travels for the 6 years to that country, I once was stopped by the police. Despite the fact that I knew I was supposed to be paying them in order to walk away, I was not sure if it was really appropriate to pay someone who was wearing the law enforcement personals’ uniform. Nonetheless, I did settle by paying them 100 Pakistan Rupees which was equal to $ 1.4 by then.   

When looking for news, I came across an article that was published by the “Independent” about the execution of people, who allegedly watched foreign movies, in North Korea; and all the sudden my memories of living under the Taliban regime, once again, have taken my mind over. 80 people, in different parts of the country, were executed by the brutal regime of Kim Il-sung for nothing but watching movies to entertain themselves. Back to my own experience of dealing with the circumstances under the Taliban regime, if had been caught up with those movies I carried, I would have not been killed but the effects of being so brutally beaten up would have still affected me so much. Taking into account my experience of living under, almost, similar regime to the one who has been ruling North Korea for decades, I can simply imagine peoples’ situation living there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilateral Security Agreement: A supreme national interest and necessity of our time

By: Habib Sangar Afghanistan, taking into consideration its geopolitical location, for many centuries has been the center of focus for conquerors and superpowers. However, over the past 30 years and with the emergence of other regional actors (China, India, Iran, and Pakistan), the regional dynamics within the region that has had a direct impact over the situation in Afghanistan has been greatly shifted otherwise. Looking at the current situation of Afghanistan, its weak and corrupted administration, poorly equipped and fragile National Army and Police, as well as weak economy, the country has a long way towards being able to stand on its own feet and to defend its citizens against any kind of inside and outside threats. Unless there is a long-term guarantee and assurance that is more likely to be created with the long-term presence of the United States and its NATO allies on the ground, the likelihood of relapsing back into chaos is undeniable. The negotiation

The dilemma of silence of Council of Religious Scholars

by : Habib Sangar Monterey, CA                   While the number of suicide attacks, in which most of the time innocent civilian get injured or killed, is increasing, the silence of the Council of Religious Scholars in response to this chronic   atrocity has remained Afghan people doubtful and concerned about the council’s leanings towards Taliban radical ideology. Past couple months have been the bloodiest months, with an unprecedented amount of violence and bloodshed. The recent acts of violence and terror have contributed to the anger and frustration of public to question the silence of this council.  One week after the religious clerics, in an unprecedented move, labeled one of the musical events of an Afghan singer, Shafiq Mureed, as an “immoral" act against Islamic values and ended up their bid in successfully canceling the event, in Kajaki village of Musa Qala district of unstable Helmand province, 17 people, including two women, were beheaded by Taliban for atte

Strategic Partnership between India and Afghanistan

By: Habib Sangar Taking into account the importance of the friendship between Afghanistan and India, and the actual move that has been put in place with signing the Strategic Partnership (SP) today, it would be very suitable for the Afghan President, Hamid Karzai, to call this relationship as what the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Yusuf Raza Gilani, in a failed attempt of seeking support from the Chinese authorities, has termed their relationship as, “higher than mountains, deeper than oceans, stronger than steel and sweeter than honey”. Looking to the contents of this SP, Afghanistan as poor nation, dependent on international aid, facing a traditional enemy, Pakistan, who has always sought its interests in a destabilized, weak, and backward Afghanistan, is provided with an opportunity to ensure its long term security and stability as well as to accelerate its economic growth by utilizing all the potential resources that this wonderful piece of hearth personifies. However, as far